- About The
- EVENTS &
- Center news &
Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Holiday Classic
Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Holiday Classic Event Details
- Saturday, December 11, 2010 - Sunday, December 12, 2010
- Ticket Prices:
- Adults: $10.00
- Students: $5.00 (Grades 1-12 & College with ID)
- Free admission to children 6 years & younger
- Tickets are available at participating schools, The Bank of Kentucky Center Box Office, Ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000, and at select Kroger outlets beginning November 4th. Service charges will apply to all tickets purchased through Ticketmaster.
- Game Pairings
- Saturday Dec 11, 2010
5:30 pm Dixie Heights (KY) vs. Colerain (OH)
7:00 pm Holmes (KY) vs. Aiken (OH)
8:30 PM Louisville Male (KY) vs. Taft (OH)
Sunday Dec 12, 2010
1:00pm Ryle (KY) vs. Oak Hills (OH)
2:30pm Mason County (KY) vs. Princeton (OH)
4:00pm Covington Catholic (KY) vs. St. Xavier (OH)
- Saturday Dec 11, 2010
Proceeds go toward the following charities:
Parking: $3.00 charged at the lot CASH ONLY
All patrons over 6 years of age must have a ticket for this show
Camera: NO professional cameras, video cameras, recording equipment, cell phones, or laser pointers
Food/Drink: NO outside food or drink permitted
There are not any age restrictions for this event
Mission Statement and History:
It is the mission of the BBCHC to instill in our young athletes the importance of giving back to their community whenever and wherever they can. It is hoped that the skill, team work and unselfish play exhibited on the court will be carried over to a life-long habit of helping those who are less fortunate. It is equally important to teach our athletes that they can have fun while at the same time do something very good for those in need. There is no better time of the year to do this than during the Christmas holidays.
- Over its’ eight year history, this event has raised over $88,000 for our local charities. Many needy children have benefited from our efforts throughout this time. All of the money raised, after expenses, has gone to the various charities and the participating schools. The teams get to keep a portion of the ticket sales for their own program.
- The BBCHC started in December 2001 with four teams (Covington Catholic, Bishop Brossart, Louisville Trinity and Owensboro Catholic) in the gym at Covington Catholic. It was originally called the Catholic Social Services Classic and benefited Catholic Social Services in Latonia.
- In the second year, it expanded to twelve teams and moved to the Thomas More College gym. The proceeds were donated to Catholic Social Services of N. KY as well as C.S.S. of Southwest Ohio since Ohio teams were now part of the event.
- In 2003 and 2004, the name was changed to Bluegrass-Buckeye Holiday Classic and the games were played at the Cintas Center on the campus of Xavier University. In 2003, there were sixteen schools from Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky participating in the event. The charity list was expanded to include the Neediest Kids of All and the Ruth Lyons Children’s Fund. This change was made because of the area-wide appeal of these charities to ALL members of the community who were supporting the event.
- From 2005 to 2007, the games were played in Regents Hall on the campus of NKU. The field for each year has varied from ten to sixteen teams. The charity list was narrowed in 2006 to just the NKOA and Ruth Lyons Children’s Fund. In 2008 the games were moved to the brand new Bank of Kentucky Center on the Northern Kentucky University Campus and we added Queen City Foundation and St. Jude Children’s Hospital to our list of charities.
- Beginning in 2008 the games were played in the Bank of Kentucky Center on the Northern Kentucky University Campus.
- From day one, no individual has every profited financially from this event. All of the people who have worked the many, many hours to make this event a reality have been volunteers.
- Our logo depicts the bringing together of both sides of the Ohio River through high school basketball to benefit the less fortunate. It signifies the united efforts of all of our teams and volunteers who are working to make a difference.
Key Event Sponsors
- Griffin Industries
- The Enquirer
- Bilz Insurance/Travelers
- Bob Griffin
- Gold Star Chili
- New Forms, Inc.
- Local 12 - WKRC
- WLWT - Channel 5
- Montgomery Inn
- Northern Kentucky University
- Osterman, Cron
- Century Mechanical
- Joseph Auto
- PNC Bank
For more information regarding this event, or for sponsorship/partnership opportunities please contact Dick Murgatroyd via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors
- Bob Griffin
- Mike Listerman
- Dick Murgatroyd
- Alex Meacham
- Tom New
- Mike Price
- Julie Raleigh
- Nancy Renken
- Chris Shaffer
- Ken Shields
- Terry Boehmker
- Matt Merchant
- Rick Meyers
- Mike Roark
News & Special OffersRegister
Upcoming Event News
Archived Event News
Contest & Promotions